When you start Windows, you may receive the following error message on a
WINDOWS This program has caused a Fatal Exception 0D at 00457:000040B1 and will be terminated.
Pressing any key causes the screen to turn black and the computer to stop
This error message can occur if you are using Adobe Type Manager with
certain video adapter drivers and the Hardware Acceleration
setting is not set to Full
To resolve this issue, set the Hardware Acceleration
setting to Full
. To do so, follow these steps:
- Restart your computer in Safe mode. To do so:
- Windows 95:
Restart your computer. When you see the "Starting Windows 95"
message, press the F8 key, and then choose Safe Mode from the
- Windows 98:
Restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key after your
computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), and then choose
Safe Mode from the Startup menu. For more information about Windows 98 startup, please see the following article in the Microsoft
No 'Starting Windows 98' Message at Startup
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click System.
- Click the Performance tab, and then click Graphics.
- Move the Hardware Acceleration slider all the way to the right (to the Full setting), and then click OK.
- Click OK. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.