This article describes how a developer can distribute an application on
the CD-ROM medium using the Visual FoxPro SETUP Wizard. The Visual FoxPro
for Windows SETUP Wizard will create the master for this kind of
distribution medium if the developer follows the general approach
described below. This approach uses standard SETUP Wizard options, but
requires one additional, manual step of making a single modification to
the setup.inf file created by the Wizard.
Unless this modification is made, end-users installing the application
from the CD-ROM will be asked to enter the CD Key. There will be no CD Key
and setup will not proceed.
NOTE: In Visual FoxPro 6.0, you may choose the "Websetup" option to
generate a Netsetup file without going through the following steps.
To build a CD-ROM version of the application to be distributed, the
developer needs to specify the build to be a network build. This will put
the application into a single CAB file in a single directory. The disk
image of that build will be in the location specified in response to the
dialog provided by the SETUP Wizard.
Within that directory there will be a file named Setup.inf. This is a text
file that may be edited by any text editor that will edit a file with the
extension of .txt. Examples of Microsoft editors include Window's Notepad,
the Visual FoxPro program editor, or the MS-DOS "Edit" editor.
Toward the beginning of the .inf file, there will be a line saying:
Following that will be a line similar to the following:
The character string "ACMSET16.EX_" may be replaced with a similar string
that is not of any consequence to the purposes of building a CD-ROM
The change to the line above is to insert a period between the last two
quotation marks, as follows:
NOTE: To write to a CD in accordance with the ISO 9660 standard, which
does not allow for file names to contain the "$" character, use the
- Run the Setup Wizard. You may choose to run the resulting netsetup to
test the install.
- Edit the Setup.inf file located in netsetup subdirectory and Replace
all of the "$" characters with "_" (underscore) characters.
- Change the file names in netsetup subdirectory from "$" character to
"_" underscore character.
- Write the files to CD-ROM.
The behavior described above may be tested by the following steps:
- Construct a simple project containing a single .prg file.
- Build an executable from the project.
- Using the SETUP Wizard, build a network distributable and save into a
folder named "Disks."
- In the Disk folder, locate the Setup.inf file.
- Bring the .inf file into an editor and look at the Source Media
Description definition, but do not change it. Save the .inf file and
close the editor.
- Run setup of the application by double-clicking the Setup.exe in the
Disks folder. The setup program will progress to the point of asking
for the CD Key. At this point, you will need to abort the setup
- Open the .inf file in the editor and insert the period.
- Run setup again. This time setup should progress normally.
The contents of the Disks folder are ready to be burned into CD-ROMs.