This article describes how to determine the version of Microsoft DirectX that is installed on your computer by using the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
To use the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to determine the version of DirectX that is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- Type dxdiag, and then click OK.
- On the System tab, note the version of DirectX that is displayed on the DirectX Version line.
- On the various tabs, check the version information for each DirectX file.
- When you are finished checking file versions, click Exit.
If Windows cannot find the dxdiag program, DirectX version 5.0 or an earlier version of DirectX is installed on your computer. If this is the case, download and install the latest version of DirectX.
To download the latest version of DirectX, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to download and install DirectX