If you try to import messages into Outlook Express, you may receive the
following error message:
Messages can not be imported from the MAPI client. An error has occurred.
If you try to export messages from Outlook Express, you may receive the
following error message:
The Export could not be performed. An error occurred while initializing MAPI.
This behavior may occur if either of the following conditions is true:
- You import mail from Outlook into Outlook Express, but you removed Outlook from your computer before you tried to import the mail into Outlook Express.
- You configure Outlook Express to be the default Simple Messaging application programming interface (MAPI) client.
- You import or export mail from Outlook Express, and you do not have Outlook installed on your computer.
To resolve this issue, try one of the following methods, as appropriate for your situation.
Method 1: Reinstall Outlook temporarily
If you are importing mail from Outlook into Outlook Express, but you have already removed Outlook from your computer, reinstall Outlook, and then try to import the mail again.
Method 2: Change your MAPI Settings
Configure Outlook Express to not be the default Simple MAPI client before you import the mail items. To do this, follow these steps:
- Restart your computer, and then start Outlook Express.
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- On the Connection tab, click Change to open the Internet Properties dialog box.
- On the Programs tab, click an e-mail application other than Outlook Express in the E-mail list. Click Apply, and then click OK.
- Click OK again to close the Options dialog box.
- Exit Outlook Express, and then restart Outlook Express.
You can now import or export messages.
: After you complete the import or export process, you can configure Outlook Express to be the default MAPI client.
For more information about how to configure Outlook Express to be the default MAPI client, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Set Outlook Express as your default Simple MAPI client
Method 3: Upgrade to Windows Live Mail to import or to export messages
Windows Live Mail is an e-mail program that you install on your computer. Because Windows Live Mail stores messages on your computer, you can access, read, and compose e-mail messages even when you are not connected to the Internet. When you connect, Windows Live Mail sends and receives messages and updates your accounts.
To download Windows Live Mail, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information about Windows Live Mail, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Outlook Express import and export capabilities are limited to an Outlook .pst file or an Exchange Server mailbox. They are available only if Outlook is installed.
If Outlook is not installed, and you start an import or export action, the necessary support files are not present for Outlook Express to complete the action. Then, you receive the following error message:
The export could not be performed. An error occurred while initializing MAPI.
For more information about Outlook Express, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to manually export and import messages in Outlook Express
How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data
If the articles listed here do not help you resolve the problem or if you experience symptoms that differ from those that are described in this article, search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for more information. To search the Microsoft Knowledge Base, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Then, type the text of the error message that you receive, or type a description of the problem in the Search Support (KB)