This article describes the requirements for Microsoft Backup.
Backup is not installed by default in Windows 98. If Backup is installed
in Microsoft Windows 95 before you install Windows 98, Backup is upgraded
to the Windows 98 version.
To manually install Backup, use the following steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-
click Add/Remove Programs.
- On the Windows Setup tab, double-click System Tools.
- Click the Backup check box to select it, click OK, and then click OK.
To use Backup, your computer must have a hard disk with at least 4.9
megabytes (MB) of free disk space. Microsoft also recommends that you have
a Microsoft or 100-percent-compatible mouse connected to your computer.
Supported Backup Media
For a complete list of supported backup devices, click About Microsoft
Backup on the Help menu in the Backup program, and then click the Seagate
- QIC-80, 80 Wide, 3010, 3010 Wide, 3020, 3020 Wide tapes
- TR1, TR2, TR3, TR4 tapes
- DAT (DDS1 and DDS2) tapes
- DC 6000
- 8 millimeter tapes
- Removable media (floppy disks, Jaz disks, or SyQuest cartridges)
NOTE: QIC-40 backup devices are no longer supported by Backup in Windows 98.
The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a vendor
independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise,
regarding this product's performance or reliability.