MSN Money Investing may not return a quote for some symbols.
This problem may occur if one of the following conditions are true:
- The company changed their symbol.
- The company merged into another company.
- The company moved to another exchange and could not keep the same
- The company is no longer on the trading list, or trading in the
company's stock is temporarily suspended.
Comstock, MSN Money Investing's quote
provider, deletes the ticker symbol from their data feed if trade
volume for the stock is zero for three days in a row.
To work around this problem, use the appropriate method for your situation.
- If the ticker symbol is out of date, find a current and accurate
symbol that is recognized by Comstock.
- If the stock is not actively traded, search for a quote only when
there is trading activity in the stock.
Ticker symbol changed
If the ticker symbol changed more than several months ago, update the symbol in MSN Money Investing. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the MSN Money Investing navigation bar, click Stocks.
- Click Find, and then click Symbols.
- In the Enter name box on the Stocks tab,
type all or part of the company name, and then click Find.
- In the Make your selection from the list below
box, click the ticker symbol for your company, and then click OK.
- Use this symbol in your Portfolio. To change the symbol in your Portfolio, follow these steps:
- Open Portfolio.
- Right-click the old symbol in your Portfolio, and then select Investment Details.
- Change the symbol in the Symbol field. Use Find Symbol for help with finding the correct symbol.
Company name and ticker changed
If you own stock in a company whose name or symbol changed since you bought the stock, the company should have notified you of the change.
If you only track the stock for a company whose name or symbol has changed, try to find the company and ticker in a financial newspaper, or ask your stockbroker for current information.
The company merged into another company
For more information about stock mergers and spin-offs in Money, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Money: How to handle stock mergers or spin-offs in Money
Stock is not actively traded
Compstock deletes the ticker symbol from their data feed if trade volume for the stock is zero for three days in a row. If trade in the stock starts again, the ticker symbol reappears on the available symbol list.
To verify that the trade volume for a stock is zero, visit your investment broker's Web site to look up a quote for the stock.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to find symbols for preferred and other investment types in Microsoft Money and in MSN Money
How to obtain quotes for stock options
How to obtain quotes for non-US securities in MSN Money
How to find Mutual Fund symbols in MSN Money Investing
The prices may not automatically update in MSN Money Investing or in Money when you download securities from your broker