During Microsoft Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition Setup, you may receive the following error message:
A fatal exception 06 has occurred at <XXXX>:<XXXXXXXX>.
This behavior can occur if an earlier version of McAfee's VirusScan (anti-
virus software) or Norton AntiVirus is being loaded from the Autoexec.bat file.
This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.Note
An antivirus program is designed to help protect your computer from viruses. You must not download or open files from sources that you do not trust, visit Web sites that you do not trust, or open e-mail attachments when your antivirus program is disabled.
For additional information about computer viruses, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Computer viruses: description, prevention, and recovery
To resolve this issue, disable McAfee VirusScan or Norton AntiVirus. To do so, follow these steps:
- Restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears, and then choose Command Prompt Only.
- At the command prompt, type edit c:\autoexec.bat, and then press ENTER.
- Type rem, and then a space at the beginning of the line that contains Vshield.exe.
If you are using Norton AntiVirus, type rem and then a space at the beginning of the line added by Norton AntiVirus.
- Save and then close the Autoexec.bat file.
- Restart your computer. Setup should continue.
The third-party product discussed in this article is manufactured by a
vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or other-
wise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.