When you save a document in Word 97, certain document properties get
To view the document properties, click Properties on the File menu.
When the document is saved, the Title, by default, is populated with the
first line of text from the document.
The Author, by default, is populated with the name that appears in the
Information tab (on the Tools menu, click Options).
The Company, by default, is populated by the company name that was used
when Word 97 was installed.
To work around these default settings, follow these steps:
All Document Properties
To make sure that all document properties are saved with the properties
that you need, on the File menu, click Options. Click the Save tab and
select the "Prompt for document properties" option. When you save the
document, you can change the Title, Author, or Company to the settings you
want for that particular document.
You can set the default Title for the Normal template or any template you
are using by opening the template and changing the Title under File
Properties to reflect the title you want when a document is saved.
To modify the template, follow these steps:
- On the File menu, click Open.
- In the Files Of Type list, click Document Templates.
- Go to the User Template directory or to the directory where the
Normal.dot file is located. The default location is:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates
- Click the Normal.dot icon, and then click Open.
- On the File menu, click Properties.
- In the Title field, type the title that you want or type spaces for a
- Save and close the template.
You can set the default Author by changing the name in the User
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- Click the User Information tab.
- Change the name to the author name you want.
NOTE: You can place spaces in the Name field to have the name blank when
the document is saved.
Company Name Property
To change the default company property information, see the following
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
WD97: How to Change the Company Property Information