When you try to create a data source for a Microsoft Excel for Windows
workbook, you may receive the following error message:
This problem may occur if all of the following conditions are true:
- You are using the Microsoft Excel ODBC driver.
- The workbook for which you are creating the data source is protected by a password.
- The workbook for which you are creating the data source is not currently open in Microsoft Excel.
Method 1: Remove the Workbook Password
To work around this problem, remove the password from the workbook. To do
this, follow these steps:
- Start Microsoft Excel.
- On the File menu, click Open.
- Locate and select the workbook with the password.
- Click Open.
- Enter the password for the workbook and click OK.
- On the File menu, click Save As.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to Tools, and click General Options.
- Delete the text in the Password to open box and
- Click Save. Click Yes when you are prompted to replace
the existing file with the same name.
- Close the workbook.
You can create your data source without receiving an error message.
Method 2: Open the File in Excel
If you have the password protected workbook open in Microsoft Excel, you
will be able to successfully create a data source for this workbook.
However, you must have this workbook open when you use this data source or
when you refresh a query that is pulling data from this data source.
For more information about protecting your workbook, click Microsoft Excel Help
on the Help
menu, type Protect workbooks from changes
in the Office Assistant or the Answer Wizard, and then click Search
to view the topic.