This article describes how to specify a specific or third-party hardware abstraction layer (HAL) during Windows Setup.
Selecting a specific or third-party HAL during Setup should be necessary only if you have a HAL provided by a third party, or if Windows Setup does not detect your hardware correctly.Note
This procedure works only when installing from a CD-ROM. When installing from setup boot floppies, a problem in the installation program prevents the installation of a third-party HAL.
Selecting a HAL During Setup
- During the first phase of Setup, at the Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration screen, press the F5 key.
- Select the appropriate HAL, or Select Other to specify a third-party HAL. The available HALs include:
- ACPI Multiprocessor PC
- ACPI Uniprocessor PC
- Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
- Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible
- MPS Uniprocessor PC
- MPS Multiprocessor PC
- Standard PC
- Standard PC with C-Step i486
- Continue with Setup to complete the installation.