When you try to install Microsoft Office 2010, you may receive the following error message:
Microsoft Office 2010 does not support upgrading from a pre-release version of Microsoft Office 2010. You must first install any pre-release versions of Microsoft Office 2010 products and associated technologies.
This issue occurs when one or all the following conditions are true:
- You have the Office 2010 Beta suite or components of the Office 2010 Beta suite still installed.
- You have the Office 2010 Technical Preview suite or components of the Office 2010 Technical Preview suite still installed.
To resolve this issue, you must uninstall the existing prerelease version of the Office 2010 suite from your computer.
To do this, follow these steps, as appropriate for the operating system that you are running.
For Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003
- Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
- Click to select the Office 2010 prerelease product or component from the application list, and then click Remove.
For Windows Vista
- Click Start, type programs and features in the Search box, and then press ENTER.
- Click to select the Office 2010 prerelease product or component to be uninstalled from the list of installed products. Then, click Uninstall/Change from the bar that displays the available tasks.
For Windows 7
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Uninstall a program.
- Click to select the Office 2010 prerelease product or component to be uninstalled from the list of installed products. Then, click Uninstall from the bar that displays the available tasks.
As soon as the prerelease product is uninstalled, reinstall Office 2010.
For more information about what to do if the issue persists, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?