Consider the following scenario:
- You use SQL Server 2008 R2 Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) to create a report model project.
- The report model project uses a SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse (PDW) database as the data source.
- You deploy the report model project to a SQL Server 2008 R2 report server.
- You use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Report Builder 3.0 to create a dataset. The dataset uses the report model project as the data source.
- You design a semantic query for the dataset that filters some results for a field.
- You try to execute the query.
In this scenario, the semantic query cannot be executed and you receive the following error message:
An error occurred while executing the query.
An error occurred when the query ran. Refer to the inner exception for details. (Microsoft SQL Server Report Builder)
This issue occurs because the semantic query provider for SQL Server 2008 R2 PDW occasionally generates identifiers that only differ by case. However, the identifiers are not case-sensitive in SQL Server 2008 R2 PDW. Therefore, the generated identifiers conflict, and then the error occurs.
Cumulative update information
Cumulative Update 5 for SQL Server 2008 R2
The fix for this issue was first released in Cumulative Update 5. For more information about how to obtain this cumulative update package for SQL Server 2008 R2, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Cumulative Update package 5 for SQL Server 2008 R2
Because the builds are cumulative, each new fix release contains all the hotfixes and all the security fixes that were included with the previous SQL Server 2008 R2 fix release. We recommend that you consider applying the most recent fix release that contains this hotfix. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
The SQL Server 2008 R2 builds that were released after SQL Server 2008 R2 was released
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.