The message tracking feature available in Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 has been implemented in Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server with some differences. In Exchange Server 5.5, the message tracking was a per-component feature and had to be enabled at two separate locations (in the information store and in the message transfer agent [MTA]) for complete tracking to occur. In Exchange 2000, there is a single location for enabling message tracking.
To enable message tracking in Exchange 2000:
- Start Exchange System Manager.
- Locate the Servers container.
NOTE: The Servers container can be at the top level if no Administrative Groups are defined or displayed. If Administrative Groups are defined or displayed, the container can be found in the relevant Administrative Group container.
- Expand the Servers container to see the list of servers.
- Click the server on which you intend to enable tracking.
- Right-click the server, and then click Properties.
- On the General tab, click to select the Enable Message Tracking check box.
- Ensure that the log file maintenance information suits the needs for logging.
NOTE: By default, log files older than seven days are deleted.