You may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- A local Windows Installer (MSI) installation for Microsoft Lync 2010 will not complete, and the following warning is displayed in the Microsoft Lync 2010 Setup dialog box:
- The Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) Software Installation Group Policy setting for MSI deployment methods will not complete when Lync.msi is deployed to supported Windows clients.
- The Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2003 or Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (Configuration Manager) 2007 R2 automated deployments of the Lync.msi may not complete, or errors that are specific to the SMS environment or to the Configuration Manager environment may occur.
The Lync 2010 client must be installed by using the client executable file.Note
The initial installation of Lync 2010 on a supported Windows client creates the Lync.msi file in the following locations:
- %program files%\OCSetup
- %program files(x86)%\OCSetup
The Lync.msi file can be used to deploy the Lync 2010 client by using the local and automated deployment methods that are described in the "Symptoms" section.
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
Use the Lync 2010 UseMSIForLyncInstallation
Group Policy setting to enable or block MSI deployments for Lync.msi as follows: Name:
1 or 0Registry Location:
To have us enable MSI deployments for Lync.msi, go to the "Fix it for me
" section. If you prefer to enable MSI deployments for Lync.msi yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself
Fix it for me
To enable MSI deployments for Lync.msi automatically, click the Fix it
button or link. Then click Run
in the File Download
dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it
Fix this problem
Microsoft Fix it 50872
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Collapse this imageExpand this image
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?
Let me fix it myself
To enable MSI deployments for Lync.msi, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type UseMSIForLyncInstallation, and then press ENTER to name the registry entry.
- Right-click UseMSIForLyncInstallation, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1 if that value is not already displayed, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Restart the Windows client.
The Microsoft Windows Installer Tool (msiexec) should be used with at least the following parameters to ensure that the re-installation of Lync 2010 does not occur each time Lync 2010 is launched:
C:\Lync2010\>msiexec /i C:\Lync2010\Lync.msi OCSETUPDIR="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Lync"
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me
" blog or send us an email
The definition of the UseMSIForLyncInstallation
Lync 2010 Group Policy setting is not included in the Communicator.adm file.
For detailed information about how to automate the Lync 2010 deployment methods, visit the following Microsoft TechNet website: