Multiple folders that are defined for contacts in the Windows Address Book (WAB) that is used by Microsoft Outlook Express cannot be imported into Microsoft Outlook.
To recover the folder structure of the WAB, manually create the folder structure in Outlook and then take one of the following actions:
- Import the contacts into Outlook and manually move them from the default folder to the desired folder.
- Copy and paste the contacts from Outlook Express into the desired folder in Outlook.
To import the contacts into Outlook
This option may work best for a smaller number of contacts and folders.
To import the contacts into Outlook and manually move them to the desired folder, follow these steps:
- Import the contacts from Outlook Express into Outlook. For details on how to do this, see the "References" section.
- Drag each contact from the default folder to the desired folder.
To copy the contacts from Outlook Express
This option may work best for a larger number of contacts and folders.
To copy the contacts from Outlook Express and paste them into Outlook, follow these steps:
- Open both Outlook and Outlook Express.
- In Outlook, open each folder and set the Current View to Phone List.
- In Outlook Express, on the Tools menu, click Address Book.
- Open a folder, and on the Edit menu, click Select All.
- On the Edit menu, click Copy.
- Open the corresponding folder in Outlook, and on the Edit menu, click Paste.
- Save and Close each contact.
For more information on importing addresses from Outlook Express, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to import addresses from Outlook Express to Outlook