This article describes how the RDISK.EXE utility updates repair information.
The following changes occur to the repair directory when you update the repair information:
- System._ is deleted.
- $$Hive$$.tmp is created. (This is the system hive being regenerated.)
- Some DC##.tmp files are generated in the user's Home directory. If the user does not have a Home directory, the files are generated on the root directory of the partition. There will be five DC##.tmp files created and then deleted for each new hive that is generated.
- $$Hive$$.tmp is compressed and called System._.
- Software._ is deleted.
- $$Hive$$.tmp is created. (This is the software hive being regenerated.)
- $$Hive$$.tmp is compressed and called Software._.
- Ntuser.da_ is deleted.
- $$Hive$$.tmp file is created. (This is the default user profile being generated by copying Winnt\Profiles\Default user\Ntuser.dat.)
- $$Hive$$.tmp is compressed and called Ntuser.da_. (All other files remain untouched unless rdisk -s is used; in that case, Sam._ and Security._ are also replaced.)
- You are prompted to make an Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).
- If you reply Yes, all the files in the repair directory are copied to the ERD.