When you open the Network and Dial-up Connections folder, your Local Area Connection
and dial-up connection icons may not be visible, although networking continues to function correctly. The only icon in the folder is the Make New Connection
This behavior can occur if the following registry key or one of its subkeys has been deleted or changed to an invalid value:
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me
" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it
button or link. Click Run
in the File Download
dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard. Notes
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?
Let me fix it myself
- Start Notepad.
- Type the following lines in Notepad:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
- Save the file as Restore.reg. Note that Notepad may add a .txt extension to the file name. If this occurs, rename the file to Restore.reg.
- Double-click the Restore.reg file.
- When you are prompted to confirm that you want to add the information to the registry, click Yes.
- Restart your computer.
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me
" blog or send us an email