Issues that are fixed in Update Rollup 2
App Controller (KB2721175)Issue 1
When you view a service on System Center 2012 App Controller as a self-service user, you receive the following warning message:
For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Viewing a service on System Center 2012 App Controller as a self-service user may fail with a "Retrieved data is incomplete" warning
When you view a service diagram on System Center 2012 App Controller, you receive the following error message:
Description: App Controller has encountered an error and needs to restart. App Controller will restart when you click Close.
Details: The given node belongs to different graph and therefore it cannot be added to the collection.
When you try to change a service on Microsoft Azure, the change is not saved, and you receive the following error message:
The specified configuration settings for Settings are invalid. Verify that the service configuration file is a valid XML file, and that role instance counts are specified as positive integers. (StatusCode: BadRequest)
The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request. (Status Code: System.Net.Exception)
Data Protection Manager (KB2706783)Issue 1
After you upgrade from System Center Data Protection Manager 2010, Microsoft SharePoint backups fail if the SharePoint database has a nondefault collation.Issue 2
A backup of encrypted files fails silently when the self-signed certificate Group Policy Object is disabled.Issue 3
In the About Microsoft Data Protection Manager
dialog box, the Version
label is displayed. However, the version number is not displayed.Issue 4
On the Action
menu, the Help
command is displayed two times. This issue occurs because you can now access Help for DPM by using the DPM Help command. The Help
item on the Action
menu refers to Microsoft Management Console (MMC) help.Issue 5
In the DPM console view menu, the Expand All
and Collapse All
menu commands are displayed multiple times.Issue 6
The Windows PowerShell cmdlet to query licenses that are being used is added.Issue 7
A DPM backup may fail for a SharePoint farm with a mirrored content database whose mirrored server name starts with the principal server name. For example, this issue may occur when the principal server name is "MachineName," the mirrored server name is "MachineName1," and the content database resides on a nondefault instance of Microsoft SQL Server.
This issue may occur when a consolidated backup failure warning is raised for all the mirrored databases that satisfy the previous conditions.
When this failure occurs, you may receive the following error message:
Prepare for backup operation for SQL Server database CONTENT_DB_NAME (mirrored between – SQL PRINCIPAL and SQL MIRROR ) on SQL-PRINCIPAL.FQDN has been stopped because this operation depended on another backup operation which failed or was cancelled. (ID 30200)
Expiry dates for valid datasets that are already written to tape are changed when the retention range is changed during a protection group modification.
For example, a protection group is configured for long-term tape recovery points with custom long-term recovery goals. Recovery Goal 1 has a smaller retention range than other recovery goals. In this configuration, if a protection group is changed to remove Recovery Goal 1 and to keep other recovery goals, the datasets that were created by using Recovery Goal 1 have their retention range changed to the retention range of the other recovery goals.
To work around this problem, create the IsDatasetExpiryDateChangeInModifyPgAllowed DWORD under the following subkey, and then set its value to 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManagerIssue 9
Tapes are marked as reusable on the next day after the date of expiry as DPM runs a reclamation job only at midnight. If you want the tape to be reusable on the same date as it is expired, create the ExpireDatasetOnDayStart 32- bit DWORD, and set its value to 1
under the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\MediaManagerIssue 10
DPM does not enable browsing of a protected folder on a protected server that has an invalid created date and time.Issue 11
A tape backup of millions of files fails, and you receive the following error message:
Details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057).
Operations Manager (KB2731874)Issue 1
The Windows PowerShell module runspace configuration cache grows indefinitely. This causes memory usage to increase.Issue 2
cmdlet fails if the management group evaluation expiration time-out has expired.
Operations Manager - UNIX and Linux Monitoring (Management Pack Update)Issue 1
The System Center Operations Manager agent may crash on Oracle Solaris root zones that are configured to use a range of dedicated CPUs.Issue 2
The UNIX/Linux agent process provider may not enumerate running processes if a process has arguments that include non-ASCII characters. This prevents process/daemon monitoring.Issue 3
The .rpm specification file for the agent for Red Hat Enterprise Linux does not specify the distribution.
Orchestrator (KB2702112 - Runbook Designer (x86), Runbook Server (x86))Issue 1
A System Center Orchestrator Runbook that uses the "Run Program" activity to execute an application on a system that is running Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, or an earlier version of Windows may return a failed status for the "Run Program" activity together with the following content in the Error Summary Text published data:
Could not start Orchestrator Run Program Service service on computer_name - The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner. (code 1053)
On the remote computer on which the service is trying to start, the following event is captured in the Application log:
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Faulting application OrchestratorRunProgramService.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4f44a324, faulting module KERNEL32.dll!SetProcessPreferredUILanguages, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03824, exception code 0xc0000139, fault offset 0x0006f04e,
process id 0x76c, application start time 0x01cd134f73ced65a.
Service Manager (KB2719827)Issue 1
The URL links to incidents or activities in the Notification Templates are incorrect. For more information about this issue, go to the following Microsoft TechNet website:Issue 2
The time stamp for incidents that are created by using the SMTP connector are incorrect.Issue 3
If you change the SharePoint site language in the Service Manager portal, an incorrect language may be displayed.Issue 4
Service Manager does not generate an incident for alerts that are created by Operations Manager rules.
Virtual Machine Manager (KB2742355 - Console, KB2724539 – VMM Server, KB2725034 – Self-Service Portal)Issue 1
After a VMM update is installed, a physical-to-virtual (P2V) conversion may fail with error 413 because the version that is listed in the AgentVersion registry value is incorrect.Issue 2
A virtual machine has a status of "Unsupported VM Configuration" if the virtual machine was configured to use an ISO and if the Share image file instead of copying it
option is selected. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Virtual machine configured to use an ISO has a status of Unsupported VM Configuration in System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager
Power optimization powers off the host computer instead of shutting it down.Issue 4
When you view checkpoints for a VMware virtual machine, the VMM Console may crash. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
Value of '0' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Virtual machine placement may provide the same host rating even though available memory between the hosts is different.Issue 6
You cannot log on to App Controller because VMM does not support domains that have a one-way trust.Issue 7
Text is truncated on PRO tip warnings.Issue 8
Images (or logos) within PRO tips are not displayed when integrating with System Center 2012 Operations Manager.Issue 9
The VMM Console can take several minutes to load in environments that have several hundred hosts.Issue 10
Virtual machine placement can require up to 30 seconds per host.Issue 11
VMM Console performance decreases in large environments.Issue 12
VMM does not recognize third-party disk resource types that are used in a Hyper-V failover cluster.
Refresh host cluster jobs may fail, and you receive the following error message:
Host cluster cluster.contoso.com was not fully refreshed because not all of the nodes could be contacted. Highly available storage and virtual network information reported for this cluster might be inaccurate.
Virtual machines that have a status of "Unsupported Cluster Configuration" may fail, and you receive the following error message:
The highly available virtual machine (VMname) is not supported by VMM because the virtual machine uses non-clustered storage.
Installation instructions for App Controller
To install Update Rollup 2 for Microsoft System Center 2012 App Controller, follow these steps:
- On the App Controller server, install update rollup 1 or a later update package for the Virtual Machine Manager Console.
- Re-import the library certificates for each VMM server. To do this, follow these steps:
- Log on to App Controller as an administrator.
- Expand Settings, and then click Connections.
- For each VMM server, select the VMM server, and then click Import Certificates.
- Re-importing the VMM library certificates can be performed either before or after you install the update package for App Controller.
- Until the library certificates are re-imported, App Controller cannot copy files into the VMM library.
- Install the update package for System Center 2012 App Controller.
If you installed the language pack for App Controller, you have to copy the language pack files after you install Update Rollup 2. If you do not follow these steps, the App Controller website will not show localized content, even if the language pack is installed.
To copy the language pack files, follow these steps:
- On the App Controller server, open an elevated command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:
cd %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft System Center 2012\App Controller\wwwroot\ClientBin\184.108.40.206
copy /B LanguagePack_*.xap ..\220.127.116.11\*
- Verify that the following eight files are in the %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft System Center 2012\App Controller\wwwroot\ClientBin\18.104.22.168 directory:
If you do not have the language pack installed, you have to follow these steps after you install the language pack.
Installation instructions for Data Protection Manager
To install Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager, follow these steps:
- Before you install the Update Rollup 2 package, back up the DPM database.
- Install the update rollup package on the server that is running System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager. To do this, run the DataProtectionManager2012-KB2706783.exe file on the server.
Note You might have to restart the Data Protection Manager server after you install this rollup package.
- In the DPM Administrator Console, update the protection agents. To do this, use one of the following methods:
- Method 1: Update the protection agents from the DPM Administrator Console
- Open the DPM Administrator console.
- On the Management tab, click the Agents tab.
- In the Protected Computer list, select a computer, and then click Update on the Action pane.
- Click Yes, and then click Update Agents.
Note You may have to restart the computer for Agent upgrades.
- Method 2: Update the protection agents on the protected computers
- Obtain the update protection agent package from the "DPM_installation_location\DPM\DPM\Agents\RA\4.0.1915.00" directory on the System Center 2012 - Data Protection Manager server.
For x86-based updates
i386\1033\DPMAgentInstaller_KB2706783.exeFor x64-based updates
amd64\1033\DPMAgentInstaller_KB2706783_AMD64.exeNote The DPMAgentInstaller.exe package applies to all languages.
- Run the appropriate DPMAgentInstaller.exe package on each protected computer based on the architecture of the agent.
- Open the DPM Administrator console on the System Center 2012 - Data Protection Manager server.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab.
- Select the protected computers, click Refresh Information, and then verify that the agent version is listed as 4.0.1915.00."
Installation instructions for Operations Manager
Known issues for this update
- Updates do not appear in the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel after you install Update Rollup 2.
- The version number of the console does not change after you install Update Rollup 2. After Update Rollup 2 is installed, the version number of the console remains 7.0.8560.0.
- After you install Update Rollup 2 on a web console, the following error occurs in Internet Explorer:
To resolve this issue, close and then restart Internet Explorer.
Server Error in '/OperationsManager' Application.
Notes on installation
- Operations Manager Update Rollup 2 will at first be available only in English and cannot be applied to non-English versions of System Center 2012. Non-English versions of Update Rollup 2 will be available later in 2012.
- You must run these updates as an administrator.
- You have to close the console before you apply the console update to avoid having to restart the computer.
- You must restart and clear the browser cache to start a new instance of Microsoft Silverlight.
- This update rollup should not be installed immediately after you install the server. Otherwise, you could encounter an issue in which the Health Service state remains uninitialized.
- If User Account Control is enabled, the .msp update files must be run from an elevated Command Prompt window.
- System Administrator rights on the database instances for the Operational Database and Data warehouse are required in order to run updates on these databases.
- The web console fixes will work after you add the following line to the %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\web.config file:
<machineKey validationKey="AutoGenerate,IsolateApps" decryptionKey="AutoGenerate,IsolateApps" validation="3DES" decryption="3DES"/>Note
This line should be added under <system.web>, as described in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
You may receive an error message when you access ASP.NET Web pages that have ViewState enabled after you upgrade from ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0
Supported installation order
We recommend that you install this update rollup in the following order: Note
Update Rollup 2 can be installed on agents either before or after it is installed on the server infrastructure.
- Install the update on the server infrastructure:
- Management server or servers
- Gateway servers
- Reporting servers
- Web console server role computer
- Operations console role computers
- Manually import the management packs.
- Apply the agent update to manually installed agents, or push the installation from the Pending view in the Operations console.
If Connected MG/Tiering is enabled, the top tier should be patched first.
To extract the files that are contained in this update package, follow these steps:
- Copy the following file to either a local folder or to an available network share, and then execute it to extract the files:
- Apply the appropriate MSPs to each computer.
The following MSP files are included in the update. All MSP files that apply to a specific computer must be applied. For example, if a management server also has the Web Console and Console roles installed, three MSP packages should be applied to the management server. One MSP package should be applied for each specific role that a server holds.
- Import the following management packs:
For information about how to import a management pack from disk, go to the following Microsoft TechNet website:
Installation instructions for Operations Manager UNIX and Linux monitoring packs and agents
To install the updated monitoring packs and agents for UNIX and Linux operating systems, follow these steps:
- Download and then install the updated management packs from the following Microsoft website:
- Import the updated management pack for each version of Linux or UNIX that you are monitoring in your environment.
- Upgrade each agent to the latest version by using either the Update-SCXAgent Windows PowerShell cmdlet or the UNIX/Linux Agent Upgrade Wizard in the Administration pane of the Operations Console.
The management pack bundle files for each UNIX and Linux operating system version contain the management pack and agent files. You may have to wait several minutes after you import the management pack bundle before the agent files are available for agent upgrades.
Installation instructions for Virtual Machine ManagerNote
An issue was discovered with the VMM Console update (KB2724538) on non-English versions. A new VMM Console update (KB2742355) was released on Microsoft Update. This update will be available for all languages regardless of whether the old console update (KB2724538) is installed. We recommend that you install this update on all VMM languages.
If the VMM Server Update for Update Rollup 1 (KB2663959) is not installed, the VMM agent on the managed computers has to be updated after the VMM Server Update for Update Rollup 2 (KB2724539) is installed.
To update the VMM agent on the managed computers, follow these steps:
- Open the VMM Console.
- Click Fabric, and then select Servers.
- Under Managed Computers, select the servers, and then click Update Agent.