In Microsoft Word for Mac, when you open and then print a text file, the following error message appears:
The margins of section 1 are set outside the printable area of the page. Do you want to continue?
When you look at the margin settings, you find that the left and right margins are set to 0.25" (or 0.63 cm).
: To view the margin settings, click Document
on the Format
menu, and then click the Margins
To work around this problem, use one of the following methods:
Method 1: Adjust the Font Size and the Page Margins to Maintain 80 Characters per Line
- On the Edit menu, click Select All.
- With all of the text selected, on the Format menu, click Font.
- In the Font dialog box, adjust the size to 10 points and click OK.
- Click Document on the Format menu.
- Click the Margins tab, and then set the left and right margins to 0.92 inches.
- Click Print on the Standard toolbar.
Method 2: Click "Ignore" When the Error Message Appears
When you print a text file, and the error message appears, click Ignore
. This may allow the file to print without any problems, because 0.25" is within the printable area of most printers. However, some printers may not print all of the text, because the text may be outside of the printable area.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Microsoft Word for Mac.