Consider the following scenario:
- You apply Update Rollup 4 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1) in a Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 environment.
- You create a journaling mailbox.
- An email message is sent to a journal recipient. The email message contains unsupported character sets, such as the ISO-2022-JP-2 character set.
In this scenario, the email message and the non-delivery report (NDR) message remain in the delivery queue on the Exchange Server 2010 Hub Transport server. Additionally, you receive the following error message in the Queue Viewer tool:
400 4.4.7 The server responded with: 550 5.6.0 CAT.InvalidContent.Exception: InvalidCharsetException
You receive the error message if one of the following conditions is true:
- You create a journal rule to enable journaling for the email messages that are sent to the journal recipient. The rule sends journal reports to the journaling mailbox.
- You configure the journaling mailbox to forward email messages to another mailbox.
This issue occurs because the Exchange server generates a new message for forwarding which does not inherit a certain property from the original message. Therefore, the Exchange server does not process the message.
To resolve this issue, install the following update rollup:
Description of Update Rollup 5 version 2 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about a similar issue that occurs before you install Update Rollup 4 for Exchange Server 2010 SP1, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
An email message is not delivered if it contains unsupported encoded characters in the subject line in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
for other considerations.