This article describes the update rollup for Windows 8 and for Windows Server 2012 that is dated November 2012. This update rollup package includes performance and reliability improvements for Windows 8 and for Windows Server 2012. We recommend that you apply this update rollup as part of your regular maintenance routines.
This update rollup includes the following performance and reliability improvements:
- Enable enterprise customers to customize the default lock screen.
- Improves the performance when you wake the computer and when the computer is asleep, in order to improve battery life
- Resolves an issue that may prevent Windows Store Apps from being installed fully
- Other software updates and performance improvements
If the Nalpeiron Licensing Service is running on the computer, when you install this update, the Configuring Updates stage stops at 15 percent completion.
For more information about how to work around this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Configuring Updates stage stops at 15 percent completion when you try to install update 2770917 in Windows 8
This update also resolves an issue in which you cannot scan data by using a USB 3.0 scanner that is connected to a Windows 8-based or Windows Server 2012-based computer. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
You cannot scan data by using a USB 3.0 scanner that is connected to a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer
How to obtain the update
This update is available from Windows Update
- This update is provided as an important update.
- If you select the Install updates automatically (recommended) Windows Update setting, this update is automatically installed.
- If you select other Windows Update settings, we highly recommend that you install this update through Windows Update immediately.
You can also obtain the stand-alone update package through the Microsoft Download Center. For more information, go to the Microsoft Download Center
, and then search for KB2770917
To apply this update, you must be running Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012.
You must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement information
This update does not replace any previously released update.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
File information for update 2770917
If you have questions about Windows Update, go to the following Microsoft websites:
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates