This article describes the update rollup for Windows 8 and for Windows Server 2012 that is dated December 2012. This update rollup package includes performance and reliability improvements for Windows 8 and for Windows Server 2012. We recommend that you apply this update rollup as part of your regular maintenance routines.
This update rollup includes the following performance and reliability improvements:
- Improves the speed of text input in some Windows Store apps.
- Resolves an issue that prevents some users who have Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.0-based devices from using mirror drivers.
- Resolves an issue that may prevent some games from being updated.
- Resolves an issue that may cause blips in audio playback when a computer is running in "Connected Standby" mode.
- Resolves an issue in which Windows Store apps do not obtain data when they connect to Windows Store through a cellular network.
- Changes how Hyper-V Network Virtualization generates the NVGRE packet.
- Resolves an issue in which the media access control address (MAC address) "flaps" on a virtual switch that has Load Balancing/Failover (LBFO) configured, and MAC Spoofing is enabled in the virtual machines. To configure network load balancing on the virtual switch, install this update rollup.
Note You must apply this update on all of the Windows Server computers that use network virtualization. However, if you are not able to apply this update to all computers, do not apply this update at all. The computers that this update applies to are incompatible in the wire format with computers that do not have this update installed.
How to obtain the update
This update is available from Windows Update
- This update is provided as an important update.
- If you select the Install updates automatically (recommended) Windows Update setting, this update is installed automatically.
- If you select other Windows Update settings, we highly recommend that you install this update through Windows Update immediately.
You can also obtain the stand-alone update package through the Microsoft Download Center. For more information, go to the Microsoft Download Center
, type "KB2779768" in the Search box, and then press Enter to search for the update package.
To apply this update, you must be running Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012.
You must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement information
This update does not replace any previously released update.
To view the file information for update 2779768, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
File information for update 2779768
If you have questions about Windows Update, go to the following Microsoft websites:
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates