Consider the following scenario:
- You use Internet Explorer 10 on a computer that is running Windows 8.
- You set Internet Explorer 10 as the default program to open webpages.
- You run an application that uses the LaunchFileAsync method on the computer, such as Microsoft OneDrive.
- You try to open an .html, .xml, or .gif file from inside the application.
In this scenario, Internet Explorer 10 cannot open the file. Additionally, you receive following error message:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.
method is used to start the default app that is associated with the specified file.
Security update information
To resolve this issue, install the most recent cumulative security update for Internet Explorer. To do this, go to the following Microsoft website:Notes
- This update was first included in the following security update:
MS13-028: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer: April 9, 2013
- For more technical information about the most recent cumulative security update for Internet Explorer, go to the following Microsoft websites:
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Microsoft has confirmed that
this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to"