This article describes how to enter and track a bond in your MSN Money Investing portfolio.
Bonds are not automatically updated by MSN Money Investing. To track a bond, add the bond to your portfolio and then manually update the value of the bond.
To add a bond to your portfolio, follow these steps:
- Open your MSN Money Investing portfolio, and then select the account that you want to add a bond to.
- Under Common Tasks, click Work with investments, and then click Record a Buy.
- Enter a name for the bond, and then click OK.
The Create New Investment Wizard starts.
- Select Bond as the type, click Next, and then follow the directions in the wizard to create the bond.
- In the Activity box, select Buy, and then fill in the remaining information.
Note The Price of a bond is typically the percentage of par value and not a currency amount. For example, if you purchased a bond with the face value of $1000 but only paid $800, the price is 80 percent. Therefore, you would enter 80 as the price.
To manually update the price of your bond, follow these steps:
- In your portfolio, under Common Tasks, click Update Prices, and then click Update Prices Manually.
- Select the bond from the list of investments.
- Enter a date and a price.
Note The price is actually a percentage of the par value.
- Click Update, and then click Close.
The Essentials Portfolio on MSN Money does not support bonds. You must use the Deluxe Portfolio.
For more information about how to switch between the Deluxe Portfolio and the Essentials Portfolio in MSN Money , click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to switch between the Deluxe Portfolio and the Essentials Portfolio in MSN Money