If a Microsoft Office program experiences a serious
error and quits, your computer records an error signature that describes the
error that occurred. This article explains how to view these error
The error signature contains information, such as the
program name, error name, and module name, that Microsoft uses to further
develop and improve Microsoft products.
If you have an Internet
connection, you can send this information directly to Microsoft by using the Office Application Error Reporting tool. If you choose to report this information, the tool checks
to see if a solution to the problem is available, and if so, sends that
information to you.
If you choose not to use the Office Application Error Reporting tool, you can use the information in the error signature to
search the Microsoft Knowledge Base directly.
To find the error
signature on your computer after a program stops responding, use the
appropriate method for your operating system.
In Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, and Microsoft Windows Server 2003
The Event Viewer contains the error signature. To use the Event
Viewer, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer.
- In the Event Viewer, click the Application Log icon on the Tree tab.
- To view the log, double-click any entry in the right pane
where the Source column contains Microsoft Office 10 for Microsoft Office XP or
Microsoft Office 11 for Microsoft Office 2003.
- For additional information about how to use Event Viewer,
click Help on the Action menu.
In Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 (SP6)
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools (Common), and then click Event Viewer.
- In Event Viewer, click Application on the Log menu to view events for applications.
- For additional information about how to use Event Viewer, click Help on the Action menu.
In Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)
The error signature is listed on the affected program's Help
- On the Help menu, click About Microsoft Program name.
- Click System Info, and then double-click Office 10 Applications in the folder tree.
- Click the Office Event/Application Fault folder.
The error log appears in the right
You can also read this information in the DW.log
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: