This article describes how to send a document in e-mail
from Microsoft Office Visio.
To send your drawing in e-mail directly from Visio, follow
- Use one of the following methods, depending on your version of Visio:
Note If Send To is not available on the File menu, you must install Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook
Express, or another e-mail program compliant with the Messaging Application
Programming Interface (MAPI). For more information about Outlook and Outlook
Express, see the "Installing an E-mail Program" section later in this article.
For information about other non-Microsoft MAPI compliant e-mail programs, see
the links to third-party vendor contacts in the "References" section.
- To send the drawing as a message attachment in Microsoft Office Visio 2007, in Microsoft Office Visio 2003 or in Microsoft Visio 2002, point to Send To on the File menu, and then click Mail Recipient (as Attachment).
- To send the drawing as a message attachment in Microsoft Visio 2000, point to Send To on the File menu, and then click Mail Recipient.
- If the Choose Profile box appears, click Default Outlook Profile or another valid profile, and click OK.
- Visio adds the file name of the drawing to the Subject line.
- In the To line, type the e-mail names of the recipients or select the
e-mail names from your Address Book.
- Click Send to send the drawing as an attachment.
Installing an e-mail program
The two most common Microsoft e-mail programs are Microsoft
Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express, both of which support use of the Send To
command in Visio. This section describes installation of
For more information about how to obtain and install Outlook
Express, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain and install Outlook Express
Installing Microsoft Outlook
The following instructions apply only to Microsoft Office
To install Microsoft Outlook, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
- Use one of the following methods, as appropriate for your operating
- Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), or Microsoft Windows NT 4.0:
On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Office XP in the list of installed programs, and then click Add/Remove.
- Microsoft Windows 2000:
In the Currently installed components
list, click Microsoft Office XP, and then click Change.
- In the Microsoft Office XP Setup dialog box, click Add or Remove Features, and
then click Next.
- Click the icon for Microsoft Outlook for Windows, and then click Run from My Computer on the menu
- Click Update to start the installation.
Troubleshooting the Send Mail Commands in Visio
If Outlook Express is installed as your default e-mail program,
but you are missing the Send To
command in Visio, click the following article number to view the
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
File, Send To, Mail Recipient, or Mail Recipient (as Attachment) missing
For more information about hardware and software vendor contact information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.