This step-by-step guide explains how to use the
command-line tools to upgrade from an earlier version of FrontPage Server
Extensions to FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions, on a Microsoft Windows
following software requirements are necessary before following the steps in
- Microsoft Internet Information Services:
- Microsoft Internet Information Server version 4.0 on
Windows NT 4.0
- Microsoft Internet Information Services version 5.0 on
- Microsoft Internet Information Services version 5.1 on
Windows XP Professional
- FrontPage Server Extensions:
- FrontPage 97 Server Extensions
- FrontPage 98 Server Extensions
- FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions
- Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- Version 4.0 or later on Windows NT 4.0
- Version 5.0 or later on Windows 2000
- Version 6.0 or later on Windows XP
- Disk Space Requirements:
Between 30 MB and 70 MB of hard-disk space available for your installation of FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions, plus enough hard-disk space to host the Web sites and subwebs that your users will create. These requirements are guidelines only and can vary, depending on the platform and operating system.
- You can upgrade to FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions from
any earlier version of the FrontPage Server Extensions, but not from SharePoint
Team Services from Microsoft, or from the Office 2000 Server Extensions.
- SharePoint Team Services is based on FrontPage 2002
Server Extensions, and, therefore, no upgrade is necessary.
- To upgrade the Office 2000 Server Extensions, you
should upgrade to SharePoint Team Services.
- You must have administrative rights on the server. If you
are working remotely, you must have administrative rights on the remote server,
and you must have a copy of Owsrmadm on the local computer.
Step 1 - Download and Install
the Server Extensions
- Open your Internet browser, and then visit Microsoft Web
- Click fpse02_x86_ENG.exe.
- When you are prompted with the choices Run this
program from its current location and Save this program to
disk, click Save this program to disk.
- You will be prompted to save to a location on your
computer's hard disk. Click Browse, and then move to a location of your choice. Note where you save
- Open the folder where you saved the server extensions
- Double-click fpse02_x86_ENG.exe.
- Click through the Setup Wizard to install FrontPage 2002
Server Extensions, using the defaults in all steps.
Step 2 - Upgrade the Server by
Using the Command-Line Tools
- On the Start menu, click Run. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
- Type the following command, then press ENTER:
cd "C:\program files\common files\Microsoft shared\web server extensions\50\bin" where C:\ is the drive that contains the FrontPage Server
Extensions. (If the FrontPage Server Extensions are on a different drive,
replace C:\ with that drive letter.)
- Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
owsadm.exe -o upgrade -p 80 -sp publish where "80" is the port number for your virtual
Your web server's Default Web site is initially configured to
be on port "80", but if you have changed that setting or you are installing the
server extensions on a different virtual server, you will need to substitute
that port number for 80, or use an instance number, such as /LM/W3SVC/1,
/LM/W3SVC/3, and so on.
- Type EXIT and then press ENTER to
quit the command prompt.
a required parameter is missing, the operation fails, and you must type the
operation and parameters again.
information about how to install and how to administer SharePoint Team
Services, as well as how to use SharePoint Team Services command-line tools,
click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft
Fs002: Where to Find the SharePoint Team Services Administrator's Guide
How To Quietly Extend a Server with FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions
HOW TO: Use the SharePoint Administrator to Install and Configure the FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions
For additional information about upgrading to the
FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions, click the following article numbers to view
the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
HOW TO: Use SharePoint Administrator to Upgrade IIS 4.0 or IIS 5.0 with FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions