The MSSCCI interface that Visual Studio .NET uses to integrate with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe does not support renames or deletes. Renames or deletions that are made within Visual SourceSafe do not propagate to the Visual Studio .NET integrated development environment (IDE) until a Get Latest Version is performed.
This is also true if an item is renamed or deleted within the Visual Studio .NET IDE. The deletion or rename does not propagate to the Visual SourceSafe database. In the case of a rename, a new file with a separate history is added to Visual SourceSafe.
To rename an item that has been placed under source control so that the Visual SourceSafe file is also renamed and history for the file is continuous, follow these steps:
- Ensure that everyone has the file you want to rename checked in.
- Rename the item locally, and make all the local changes to accommodate the renaming.
- Just before you check the item in, rename the file in the Visual SourceSafe Explorer.
- Now that the names match, check the file into the Visual SourceSafe database.
- Go to a different computer and perform a Get Latest Version to make sure that all of your changes worked as expected.