When you use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, you may experience any of the following behaviors:
- The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard quits before the transfer process has been completed.
- User settings or system settings are not transferred as expected.
- Icons created on the desktop do not work as expected.
- Account information in Microsoft Outlook Express is lost.
- A new account created in Outlook Express overwrites an old mail account.
- Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook 2000 settings are not transferred if Outlook Express and Outlook 2000 share the same address book.
- The Outlook Express message store becomes corrupted if the store is open while the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is used on a Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)-based computer.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack
This update is available on the Microsoft Windows Update Web site.
Release Date: October 25, 2001
For additional information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to Obtain Microsoft Support Files from Online Services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help to prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
The English-language version of this fix should have the following (or more recent) file attributes:
Date Time Version Size File name Platform
20-Sep-2001 12:51 5.1.2600.14 113,664 Guitrn.dll i386
20-Sep-2001 12:51 5.1.2600.14 100,864 Guitrn_a.dll i386
20-Sep-2001 12:33 152,013 Migapp.inf i386
20-Sep-2001 12:50 5.1.2600.14 230,400 Migwiz.exe i386
20-Sep-2001 12:50 5.1.2600.14 226,816 Migwiz_a.exe i386
20-Sep-2001 12:50 5.1.2600.14 186,368 Script.dll i386
20-Sep-2001 12:50 5.1.2600.14 167,424 Script_a.dll i386
20-Sep-2001 12:51 5.1.2600.14 141,312 Sysmod.dll i386
20-Sep-2001 12:51 5.1.2600.14 130,560 Sysmod_a.dll i386
20-Sep-2001 12:50 5.1.2600.14 78,336 Unctrn.dll i386
20-Sep-2001 12:50 5.1.2600.14 66,048 Unctrn_a.dll i386
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Windows XP Service Pack 1.
The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard helps you transfer files and settings from your old computer to your new one. You can transfer settings for Microsoft Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, as well as desktop and display settings, dial-up connections, and other types of settings. You can transfer files and settings to your new computer from your old computer if you are running any of the following Microsoft Windows operating systems:
Windows 98 Second Edition (SE)
Windows NT 4.0
Windows XP (32-bit)
: Be sure to quit any other open programs before you use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.