The Address Book provides a convenient place to store contact information for easy retrieval from programs such as Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft NetMeeting, and Microsoft Phone System. This article describes how to import names from other address books into your Windows XP Address Book.
Open the Address Book
To open the Address Book, click Start
, point to All Programs
, point to Accessories
, and then click Address Book
To open the Address Book in Outlook Express, click Address Book
on the Tools
Import Address Book Contacts from Other Windows Address Book Files
You can import address book contacts from other Windows Address Book files (.wab files), as well as from Netscape Communicator, Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book, or any text file (.csv file).
To import Windows Address Book files:
- In Address Book, point to Import on the File menu, and then click Address Book (WAB).
- Locate and then click the address book that you want to import, and then click Open.
Import Address Book Contacts from Other Address Book Formats
- In the Address Book, point to Import on the File menu, and then click Other Address Book.
- Click the address book or file type that you want to import, and then click Import.
- If your address book is not listed, you can export it to either a text (.csv) file or to a LDAP Directory Interchange Format (LDIF) file, and then import it by using that file type.