By using the Custom Installation Wizard, you can specify Microsoft Exchange Server settings for use in a customized installation of Outlook 2002. You can use this procedure whether you are installing Outlook 2002 as a stand-alone product or as part of Office XP.
Specify Exchange Settings for Outlook User Profiles in the Custom Installation Wizard
You have several options for configuring Microsoft Exchange Server connections for users (including the option of not configuring connection information). You can make configuration changes for new Exchange users and for existing users.
- For users for whom an Exchange Server connection is not configured, you can specify a user name and server name, as well as offline settings.
- For users who have an existing Exchange Server connection, you can keep that connection, or you can replace the current Exchange Server configuration with a new one.
To specify Exchange settings for Outlook user profiles:
- In the Custom Installation Wizard, on the Outlook: Specify Exchange Settings page, click Configure an Exchange Server connection.
NOTE: If you chose New Profile on the previous page, this configuration applies to all Outlook users.
- Use the default %UserName% variable setting for the user's logon name.
NOTE: You can choose to use another system variable name. For example, you can choose to use another system variable name if you have a separate user name for Outlook access. You must specify the Exchange Server name. On Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), UserName is not defined by default. If this variable is not set on user computers, the Windows NT domain logon name will be used here (if %UserName% is specified for the logon name on this page).
- Type the name of an Exchange Server on your network. This name will be replaced with the specific Exchange Server for each individual user when Outlook first starts.
- Click More Settings to configure offline settings, and then click OK.
- Select Overwrite existing Exchange settings if an Exchange connection exists that can use the Exchange Server connection that you defined for all users. This step only applies when you modify a profile. If you are defining new default profiles, the profile that you define will be used for all users.
- Click Next to proceed with the Custom Installation Wizard.