If you open the Printers window or attempt to print from any program, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Spoolsv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
Printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources.
This issue can occur if a printer driver that is installed on the computer is damaged.
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To resolve this issue, remove printers and printer drivers, and then delete the items that are under certain keys in the registry. Follow these steps:
- If possible, remove any printers that are listed in the Printers window.
To remove a printer, right-click the printer in the Printers window, click Delete, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion.
- In the Printers window, on the File menu, click Server Properties.
- On the Drivers tab, remove all of the installed printer drivers.
To remove a printer driver, click the driver, click Remove, and then click Yes to confirm.
- Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
- Export the following registry keys:
- Delete any items that are listed under the following keys (do not delete the keys themselves):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3
- Delete any non-default items that are listed under the following keys:
The list of Default monitors includes:
- AppleTalk Printing Devices (When Services for Macintosh is installed)
- BJ Language Monitor
- Local Port
- PJL Language Monitor
- Standard TCP/IP Port
- USB Monitor
- Windows NT Fax Monitor (When a Fax Modem is installed)
For additional information about which items are not default, click the article number below
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to Troubleshoot Windows Printing Problems
- Delete any items that are listed under the following keys:
- Quit Registry Editor.
- Restart your computer, and then reinstall the necessary printers.