Your mouse may not work as expected. In Device Manager, there may be an exclamation point inside a yellow circle next to the mouse. If you view the properties of the mouse, you may see the following error message:
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the file
[vmouse.vxd] that loads the drivers for the device [code 8.] To fix this
problem, run Windows Setup again using your Windows CD-ROM.
Although you run Windows Setup as the message recommends, the problem is not resolved.
This problem can occur when the System.ini file on your computer is damaged.
To resolve this problem, delete all incorrect or corrupted entries from the System.ini file on your computer. To edit the System.ini file, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open dialog box, type c:\windows\system.ini, and then click OK.
- In Microsoft Notepad, notice that the System.ini file is divided into sections. Each section begins with a section heading that is contained within square brackets. An example of a System.ini file is shown here:
- Examine the area above each section heading for illegible ("garbage") text. If any illegible text precedes any of the section headings, delete the illegible text.
- After you delete all illegible text as instructed in step 4, click Save on the File menu.
- Quit Notepad, and then restart your computer.