When you click the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon in the system tray to remove hardware, you may receive an error message and can not remove it successfully.
When you click the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon in the system tray to remove hardware, you may receive the following error message:
The device ‘Generic volume’ cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later.
This behavior can occur there are open handles with any files in the USB Mass Storage Device are in use by another program.
Follow these steps to resolve the problem:
1. Download a free utility from a third-party Web site at the following address:
2. Click Find, Find Handle or DLL in the tool menu.
• Type the drive letter of the USB device in the Handle or DLL substring textbox, and press Search Button.
• Find the process and its PID in the following box.
• In system process tree view, find the process according to the Find Handle or DLL dialog box.
• Press Ctrl + H to show Handles in Lower Pane View.
• Find the File according with the drive letter , and right click it, choose Close Handle.
This issue can also be resolved by other third-party utility such as Unlocker.