If you make changes to a Windows Metafile (WMF) or Enhanced
Metafile (EMF) by using the Edit pictures
tool in Microsoft
Picture Library, you may not be able to save the changes that you made in
the same image format, WMF or EMF. When you try to save the modified graphic,
you may receive the following error message:
be saved in the original format. Use Export to save the file in a different
If you try to copy and paste the modified version of the image
to a different Picture Shortcut, you may receive the following error
Some files could not be copied. Try to copy the
This issue occurs because Picture Library cannot save the
changes made to a WMF and EMF file in the same file format. Picture Library can
only save in a raster or bitmap format.
To work around this issue, you must convert the WMF or EMF
file to a bitmap format. To do so, follow these steps:
- In the Picture Shortcuts pane, click
- Click to select the image that you want to
- In the Other Task Panes pane, click
- Under Share, click Export
- If you want to change the location of the exported file,
clear the Original locations check box, click
Browse, select the new location, and then click
- If you want to rename the file, click to clear the
Original names check box, and then rename the name of the
- Select the new file format that you want to save the
graphic in the Export with this file format box.
- Select a new size for the graphic, if you want to change
size the size of the graphic.
- Click OK.
The graphic will now be saved with the changes that you made to
it in the new image format.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.