When you view the Document Map in a Microsoft Word document, text that
is contained in the Document Map may appear small or unreadable.Notes
- To view the Document Map, click Document Map on the View
- In Microsoft Office Word 2007, you encounter this problem when you click to select the Document Map check box on the View tab.
- When you drag the Document Map window to make it larger, the text
size of the Document Map may also increase.
To work around this problem, use one or both of the
Method 1: Delete the Word Data keyWarning
Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To delete the Word Data key, follow these
Always export the registry key as a backup before you delete the
registry key. This is important because you may have to restore the
functionality that is provided by the key.
- Exit all Microsoft Office programs.
- Click Start, click
regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate one of the following registry keys, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running:
Microsoft Word 2002
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\DataMicrosoft Office Word 2003
- Click the Data key.
- Do one of the following, as appropriate for the version of Microsoft Windows that you are running:
- In Microsoft Windows 98, in Microsoft Windows Millennium
Edition (Me), in Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, or in Microsoft Windows 2000, click
Export Registry File on the Registry menu,
type a file name for the backup copy of the key, and then click
- In Microsoft Windows XP, click Export
on the File menu, type a file name for the backup copy of the
key, and then click Save.
- Make sure that the key that you just exported is selected,
and then click Delete on the Edit menu.
- Click Yes when you receive the following
message:Note In Windows XP, click Yes when you receive the
- On the Registry menu, click
Exit to exit Registry Editor.
Note To exit Registry Editor in Windows XP, click
Exit on the File menu.
After you delete the registry key and then start Word again,
Word runs the Setup program to correctly rebuild the registry key.
Method 2: Switch to Outline view and backIn Word 2002 and in Word 2003
To switch to Outline view, click Outline
menu. On the View
menu, click the view
that you were previously in. For example, click Print
.In Word 2007
Click the View
tab, click Outline
, and then click to clear the Document Map
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.