Access to the My Virtual Machines
is integral to the performance of your Virtual PC virtual machines. There may
be situations where you want to locate the My Virtual Machines
folder somewhere other than the My Documents
example, if your My Documents
folder is redirected to a
network share, the performance of your Virtual PC virtual machines may be
To change the location of the My Virtual
folder, create an environmental variable setting for Virtual
PC on the host computer. To do so, follow these steps:
- On the host computer, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Environmental Variables.
- Under System variables, click New.
- In the Variable Name box, type myvirtualmachines.
- In the Variable Value box, type the path of the folder that you want to use.
- Click OK two times, and then close the Computer Management window.
Consider security when you
perform this task. Microsoft recommends that you locate this folder on an NTFS file system formatted drive, and in a folder that has restricted permissions