When you use the Upsizing Wizard to migrate the database objects from a Microsoft Access database (.mdb or .accdb) to an existing Microsoft SQL Server database, and you use the System Data Source Name (System DSN) or the User Data Source Name (User DSN) to connect to the instance of SQL Server, you may receive the following error message:
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen(Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
Additionally, when you click OK
on the error message, you receive the following error message:
The Upsizing Wizard only works with Microsoft SQL Server (Versions 6.50 SP5 or higher). Please log in to a SQL Server data source.
This problem occurs when your Access database and the instance of SQL Server do not exist on the same computer.
To work around this problem, use a File DSN to connect to your instance of SQL Server when you upsize your Access database. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Access.
- Open the problem database.
- On the Tools menu, point to Database Utilities, and then click
Note In Access 2007, click SQL Server in the Move Data group on the Database Tools tab.
- In the Upsizing Wizard dialog box, click theUse existing database option, and then click Next.
- In the Select Data Source dialog box, select the appropriate DSN to connect to your instance of SQL Server on the File Data Source tab.
- Click OK.
- Enter the appropriate authentication information to connect to your instance of SQL Server if the SQL Server Login dialog box appears.
- Follow the instructions in the Upsizing Wizard.
Notice that the Access database is successfully upsized without any errors.
For additional information about how to use the Upsizing Wizard in Access 2002, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to use the Microsoft Access 2002 Upsizing Wizard
For additional information about issues with the Upsizing Wizard in Access 2002, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Issues with the Access 2002 Upsizing Wizard