After you upgrade a Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 secondary site server to SMS 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1), the following symptoms may occur:
- On the client computer, the SMS 2.0 Legacy Client components are not upgraded to SMS 2003 SP1 Legacy Client components.
- On the client computer, you find entries that are similar to the following in the %windir%\Ms\Sms\Logs\Clisvc.Log file:
Verifying application [%windir%\MS\SMS\core\bin\ccim32.dll] %windir%\MS\SMS\CORE\BIN\CLISVCL.EXE DateTimeThreadID
#$#$#$#$#$ ERROR: The Client Service is not authorized to run this application! (5) %windir%\MS\SMS\CORE\BIN\CLISVCL.EXE DateTimeThreadID
*** Client Configuration Installation Manager - Error launching (#0x5) %windir%\MS\SMS\CORE\BIN\CLISVCL.EXE DateTimeThreadID
- You cannot use the Client Push Install method to push the SMS 2003 SP1 Legacy Client to the computer that is assigned to the secondary site.
This problem occurs when the following conditions are true:
- The SMS 2.0 secondary site client detects a Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) mismatch between the client and the site server for the Clisvcl.Exe program file.
- Site boundaries for the secondary and primary sites do not overlap.
To work around this problem, run the SMS Manual Installation Wizard (Smsman.exe) to upgrade the Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 client to an SMS 2003 SP1 Legacy Client. To do this, follow these steps:
- Log on to the computer that the SMS 2.0 Legacy Client did not successfully upgrade on.
- Click Start, click Run, type the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER:
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
SMS 2003 SP1 cannot push the SMS 2003 SP1 Legacy Client when the site boundaries of the secondary site do not overlap with the site boundaries of the primary site. The SMS 2003 SP1 Legacy Client must be pushed from a primary site.
When you run the Smsman.exe utility on the SMS 2.0 client computer, the SMS 2.0 client components are upgraded to SMS 2003 SP1 client components.
If you experience this problem on multiple computers, you can create an advertisement for the Smsman.exe utility to target computers that were not upgraded after you upgraded the secondary site server. By default, SMS 2003 installs a query that is named SMS clients that have not been upgraded to SMS 2003
. View the results of this query to identify client computers that have not been upgraded.
For additional information about related issues, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
The SMS Manual Installation Wizard cannot successfully upgrade an SMS 2.0 Client to SMS 2003 Legacy Client
For additional information about how to use SMS 2003 for software distribution and for patch management, visit the following Microsoft Web site: