following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download
Download the VPModuleScanner package now.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Release Date: October 14, 2004
information about how to download Microsoft Support files, click the following
article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most
current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file
was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help to
prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Known limitations and issues
- You must have administrative access to run this tool
remotely or locally.
- You cannot specify credentials to run this tool. However,
you can use the run as command to start a command-line session that has the right
For more information about the run as command, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
to enable and use the "run as" command when running programs in
- VPModuleScanner.js uses the Active Directory Service
Interfaces (ADSI) proxy to connect to a remote metabase. Therefore, the
computer that runs the script must have the IIS Common Files subcomponent
installed. Otherwise, the tool reports that IIS is not installed on the client
- This tool relies on a registry key to determine whether the
inner script timed out. Therefore, you must run only one instance of the tool
on each computer.
- With IIS version 6.0 only, the computer reports the status
of the ValidatePath module even if ASP.NET is disabled through the Web Service
- The scanner reports "ASP.NET not active" if Microsoft .NET
Framework is installed before IIS. In this case, IIS has no ASP.NET mapping and
the ASP.NET functionality cannot be used.
VPModuleScanner.js uses the following technologies that might be
disabled or limited in a corporate or datacenter environment:
- ADSI: VPModuleScanner.js uses DCOM to connect to the IIS
- SMB shares to connect and retrieve files from a remote
admin share. Remote admin shares must be enabled.
- The COM component FileSystemObject (Scrrun.dll) must be
registered on the computer that runs the script. The FSO component is used to
open the Machine.config file on the remote file system. Certain security
policies recommend disabling this component on production IIS servers. For more
information about these policies, visit the following Microsoft Web sites:
Using the ASP.NET ValidatePath module scanner
VPModuleScanner.js scans a computer that you specify for the
ASP.NET ValidatePath module. In enterprise environments where multiple
computers have to be scanned, you can use VPModuleScanner.js together with
VPMultiMachineWrapper.js gathers a list of computers from either a
text file or through an LDAP query from Active Directory. When
VPMultiMachineWrapper.js has the complete list of computers, it starts a loop,
calling VPModuleScanner.js for every computer.
VPMultiMachineWrapper.js logs its debugging messages in the file
VPMultiMachineWrapper_Trace.txt. You can use the trace file if you need to
VPModulesScanner.js logs its
debugging messages in the file VPModulesScanner_Trace.txt. You can use the
trace file if you need to troubleshoot VPModulesScanner.js.
The following is an example of how VPMultiMachineWrapper.js starts
cscript //nologo //t:30 VPModuleScanner.js /o "c:\temp" Machine1
The following table explains the switches used:
Collapse this tableExpand this table
|//t:30||time-out value, in this case 30 seconds,
supported by the script engine|
|/o “c:\temp”||specifies the output directory that
should be used|
|Machine1||specifies the computer to be scanned|
The log files use the following format:
The following items describe the elements of this format:
- DATETIME specifies the date and time when the scan entry
- SERVERNAME is the NetBIOS name or the IP address of the
- NETFX_VERSION_STRING is the .NET run-time version that is installed
on the scanned system. This entry is set to Unknown if the computer cannot be found.
- MACHINESTATUS is the computer status. The following
computer status strings are possible:
- IIS installed IIS and the .NET Framework are installed, and ASP.NET is enabled.
- IIS not installed on client computer The scanning computer (client) cannot scan because it is does not
have the IIS Common Files component installed.
- Error (errnumber: Error description) An error was reported while trying to connect to IIS or during
- Config file not found The script determines the remote UNC path, but
cannot connect to the administrator share of the remote system. This occurs,
for example, if you turn off the Server Service on the remote computer or if the
administrator shares are disabled.
- PATCHSTATUS specifies whether the update has been installed. The following update status strings are
- Module not installed The computer does not have the ValidatePath httpModule installed.
- Module installed The computer does have the ValidatePath httpModule installed.
- Unknown status The status of the update could not be obtained.
The following are log entry examples:
- 10-5-2004 12:00:05 PDT,SERVER1,Unknown,
Unknown,Error(0x800A0046: Permission denied),Unknown status
The user who ran the script does not have administrative rights on the server.
- 10-5-2004 12:00:06 PDT,SERVER2,v1.1.4322,IIS
VPmodule is installed on SERVER2.
- 10-5-2004 12:00:07 PDT,SERVER3,v1.1.4322,IIS
installed,Module not installed
VPmodule is not installed on SERVER3.
You can use VPModuleScanner.js as an SMS script. The
following return codes are used to comply with SMS:
- 20000 VPmodule is not installed on the system.
- 20001 Machine.config cannot be found. IIS is not installed.
- 0 VPmodule is installed.
- <other> An error occurred that the above codes do not account
The following are log file error messages in MACHINESTATUS:
- Error(0x800A01CE: The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable) IIS is not installed on the scanned computer or the computer
that is specified is not responding.
- Error(0x800A0046: Permission denied) The user who is performing the scan does not have administrator rights
on the scanned computer.
- Error(0x80070424: ) Only the IIS Common Files component is installed on the scanned
- Unknown,Error(0x80070422: ) The IIS Administration Service is disabled.
For more information about LOGPARSER, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
IIS 6.0 Resource Kit tools
For more information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to use Windows Installer and Group Policy to deploy the VPModule.msi in an Active Directory domain
How to use Systems Management Server 2003 to deploy the ValidatePath module
You may receive error messages from Reporting Services after you install the ASP.NET ValidatePath Module