Microsoft has released the Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. This article describes the following information about the hotfix package:
- The issue that the hotfix package fixes
- Prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Information about whether you must restart the computer after you install the hotfix package
- Information about whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Information about whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- Files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 issue that is fixed in the Outlook 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package that is dated May 2, 2005.
The issue that the hotfix package fixes
This hotfix package fixes the following issue that was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- In Outlook 2003, you send a message that exceeds the size limit that is configured on the Microsoft Exchange Server computer. The message may be sent to the Exchange Server computer if any one of the following conditions is true:
When the Exchange Server computer receives a message that exceeds the size limit, the Exchange Server computer generates a non-delivery report (NDR) message that has the original message attached. Outlook 2003 downloads this NDR message.
- Outlook is configured to use Cached mode.
- Outlook is configured to use Offline mode.
- Outlook is configured to use a Personal Folders file (.pst) as the delivery location.
When a message that exceeds the size limit is sent to the Exchange Server computer, you may experience the following behavior:
- General performance issues occur on the Exchange Server computer.
- Excessive network bandwidth is used between Outlook 2003 and the Exchange Server computer.
- Excessive transaction logs are generated on the Exchange Server computer.
- Excessive database growth occurs on the Exchange Server computer.
Service pack information
This problem was first corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 2.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
The following list contains prerequisites for the hotfix package:
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office 2003 SP1 installed.
For more information about Office 2003 SP1, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of Office 2003 Service Pack 1
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 with Office 2003 SP1 installed or on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed. However, we have tested this hotfix more extensively on a computer that is running Office 2003 with Office 2003 SP1 installed than we have on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed. If you install this hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed, some file conflicts might occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend this configuration.
You do not have to restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is not replaced by any later hotfix.
You do not have to create or modify any registry keys to use any hotfixes that this package contains.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
02-May-2005 22:55 11.0.6505.0 9,990,904 Office2003-kb897247-enu.exe
Microsoft Windows Installer .msp file information
Date Time Size File name
02-May-2005 22:53 9,403,392 Olkintlff.msp (full-file/administrative)
02-May-2005 22:53 4,209,152 Olkintlop.msp (optimized)
28-Apr-2005 11:04 9,402,880 Outlookff.msp (full-file/administrative)
28-Apr-2005 05:30 4,208,640 Outlookop.msp (optimized)
To enable this hotfix, the following steps must be completed:
- You must install the Olkintff.msp file together with the Outlookff.msp file. Alternatively, you must install the Olkintlop.msp file together with the Outlookop.msp file.
- An Exchange Server hotfix must be installed on the Exchange server that contains your mailbox.
For more information about the Exchange Server 2003 hotfix that prevents messages that exceed the configured size limit from being sent to the Exchange server, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
A message that exceeds the configured size limit is sent to a server that is running Exchange Server 2003
After the hotfix is installed, the English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table.
Date Time Version Size File name
18-Feb-2005 00:59 11.0.6423.0 88,264 Addrpars.dll
11-Sep-2004 02:17 11.0.6404.0 77,000 Dlgsetp.dll
18-Mar-2005 18:41 11.0.6500.0 132,296 Envelope.dll
01-Mar-2005 21:27 11.0.6424.0 247,808 Exchcsp.dll
29-Jan-2005 00:09 11.0.6420.0 346,312 Exsec32.dll
27-Aug-2004 00:48 11.0.6402.0 122,056 Impmail.dll
18-Feb-2005 02:16 11.0.6423.0 158,912 Oladd.fae
18-Feb-2005 02:16 11.0.6423.0 152,264 Olappt.fae
27-Aug-2004 00:57 11.0.6402.0 117,952 Oljrnl.fae
27-Aug-2004 00:57 11.0.6402.0 113,344 Olmail.fae
27-Aug-2004 00:57 11.0.6402.0 104,640 Olnote.fae
18-Feb-2005 02:16 11.0.6423.0 147,144 Oltask.fae
22-Apr-2005 05:34 11.0.6505.0 7,585,480 Outllib.dll
24-Feb-2005 21:32 11.0.6424.0 89,288 Outlmime.dll
22-Apr-2005 05:33 11.0.6505.0 196,296 Outlook.exe
18-Mar-2005 18:41 11.0.6500.0 141,000 Outlph.dll
26-Mar-2005 05:06 11.0.6501.0 64,200 Outlrpc.dll
27-Aug-2004 00:47 11.0.6402.0 44,744 Outlvbs.dll
17-Mar-2005 21:32 11.0.6550.0 74,944 Rm.dll
22-Jan-2005 03:20 11.0.6419.0 111,808 Sc2.sam
22-Jan-2005 03:20 11.0.6419.0 143,048 Schplus.sam
11-Oct-2004 19:29 11.0.6408.0 100,552 Transmgr.dll
- For more information about how to install this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the hotfix package.
- For more information about the differences between the two .msp files, see the "Strategies for Updating Office 2003 Installations" topic. To see this topic, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information about the terminology that Microsoft uses for software that is corrected after the software is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates