When you try to install a Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft Office 2003 or Microsoft Office XP program, you experience the following symptoms:
- The Setup program unexpectedly quits.
- The active Setup dialog box disappears.
- You do not receive an error message.
For example, the Product Key
dialog box may unexpectedly disappear.
To resolve this problem, examine each local hard disk for errors. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open My Computer.
- Right-click the first hard disk that is listed, and then click Properties. Typically, the first hard disk is drive C.
- Click the Tools tab.
- Click Check Now.
- Click to select both the Automatically fix file system errors check box and the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box. Then, click Start.
- Click Yes if you receive the following message: Click OK, and then restart the computer.
If you do not receive this message, the disk scan starts.
- When the disk scan is finished, repeat steps 2 through 6 for all remaining hard disks on the computer.
After all hard disks are checked for errors, you can successfully install the Office program.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.