enhances the stability and performance of Media Center 2005. This update fixes several known issues. The update also adds the following new functionality to Media Center:
- This update improves the Media Center Extender experience. Media Center now recognizes when a Microsoft Xbox 360 is connected to the network. Additionally, Media Center now prompts you to install the software components that Media Center must have to support the Media Center Extender functionality of the Xbox 360.
- On U.S. versions of Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, this update provides support for a second Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) tuner card. Media Center now supports up to two ATSC tuner cards and two National Television Systems Committee (NTSC) tuner cards.
- Media Center now supports DVB-T radio where DVB-T radio is broadcast.
- Media Center now includes a configurable optimization option to make sure that your Media Center computer continues to run smoothly.
- Media Center now includes a nonlinear zoom mode for widescreen TVs.
- This update improves the process of burning DVDs in Media Center.
To obtain , visit the Microsoft Windows Update Web site:Release Date:
Oct. 14, 2005Note
To install this update, you must have Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 installed. Windows Update detects whether these packages are installed. Windows Update automatically installs these packages for you.
If the 886904 update is installed, you must uninstall the 886904 update before you install Update Rollup 2 for Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Otherwise, the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 installation will not succeed.
To determine whether the 886904 update is installed, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
- Click to select the Show Updates check box.
- In the Currently installed programs list, look for the following item:
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886904)
If this item appears, you must remove the hotfix. To remove the hotfix, click Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886904)
, and then click Remove
. Then, visit the Windows Update Web sit to download and install .
Media Center Technical Support
Because Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition was included with your hardware device or system, the hardware manufacturer provides technical support and assistance for this software. Your manufacturer may have customized the installation with unique components such as specific device drivers and optional settings to maximize the performance of that manufacturer's hardware. If you require technical help with Windows XP Media Center Edition, contact your manufacturer directly because the manufacturer is best qualified to support the software that the manufacturer has installed on the hardware.