When you visit the Microsoft Windows Update Web site, you experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- The following error code appears in the upper-right corner of the Microsoft Internet Explorer window:
- If you try to stop the Automatic Updates service, you receive the following error message:
Error 1054: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
Additionally, if you click Express Install (Recommended)
or Custom Install
to scan the computer for available updates, the scanning process may appear to stop responding. When this issue occurs, the scan operation never finishes.
This issue may occur if the following conditions are true:
- The Eset NOD32 antivirus program is running on the computer.
- The NOD32 antivirus version is earlier than NOD32 version 2.50.23.
To resolve this issue, upgrade the NOD32 program to version 2.50.23 or to a later version. For more information about how to update the NOD32 version, visit the following Eset Web site:
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
To determine whether the NOD32 antivirus program is running on the computer, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
- In the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, determine whether the NOD32 antivirus system appears under Currently installed programs.
When this issue occurs, the following information is logged in the %WINDIR%\WindowsUpdate.log file:
<date> <time> -0700 932 3a8 Service received SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP control
<date> <time> 3696 d58 Setup FATAL: SelfUpdate: Failed to stop service wuauserv, error = 0x8007041D
<date> <time> 3696 d58 Setup * WARNING: Exit code = 0x8007041D
<date> <time> 3696 d58 Setup *********
<date> <time> 3696 d58 Setup ** END ** Setup: Installing client binaries
<date> <time> 3696 d58 Setup *************
<date> <time> 3696 d58 Setup FATAL: InstallUpdatedBinaries failed with error 0x8007041d
<date> <time> 3696 d58 WUWeb FATAL: InstallUpdatedBinaries failed with error:0x8007041d
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.