When you play Microsoft Fable: The Lost Chapters, you may not receive the level of game performance that you expect.
This issue may occur for a variety of reasons. These reasons include system requirements, game settings, and video drivers.
To resolve this issue, use the following methods in the order that they are presented.
Method 1: Verify the minimum system requirements
Make sure that the computer meets or exceeds the minimum video, processor, connection speed, and RAM requirements to play Fable: The Lost Chapters.
For more information about the minimum system requirements for Fable: The Lost Chapters, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
The minimum system requirements for Microsoft Fable: The Lost Chapters
Method 2: Restart the computer after it is on standby or in suspend mode
Game performance may be poor after you put the computer on standby or in suspend mode. If you manually or automatically put the computer on standby or in suspend mode while you are playing the game, performance may be poor when you awaken the computer and resume the game. You may experience the following symptoms when you resume the game after the computer is on standby or in suspend mode:
- The music and other sounds may not be heard in the game.
- The game transitions may be choppy.
- The game may stop responding (hang).
To resolve these issues, quit and then restart the game.
Method 3: Change the game settings (single player)
You can adjust the game settings in Fable: The Lost Chapters to use fewer resources. To change the game settings, follow these steps:
- From the main menu or from the in-game user interface, click Options.
- Click Video Options.
- Turn off Anti-aliasing and Vertical Sync.
- Move the slider controls of the following options to decrease the settings:
- Shadow Effects are very CPU intensive. The largest single performance increase will come from disabling shadows. To disable shadows, move this slider all the way to the left.
- Effects Detail controls water translucency and ripple effects. This is second most CPU-intensive effect. Move this slider all the way to the left to increase performance.
- Mesh Detail includes draw distances and waving grass effects. To increase performance, move this slider all the way to the left to greatly reduce draw distances and remove the grasses.
- Texture Detail regulates the sharpness and the detail level of all objects in the Fable: The Lost Chapters world. You may notice a modest performance gain if you lower the Texture Detail setting.
- Resolution reduction will also improve performance. If you decrease the resolution by one level, in-game performance will improve. For example, if the performance does not meet your expectations when you use the 1024 x 768 resolution, reduce the resolution to 800 x 600.
LCD monitors provide poor image quality at non-native resolutions. See your monitor documentation or visit the monitor manufacturer's Web site for information about the native resolution of the monitor.
Method 4: Improve game performance
For more information about how to improve game performance, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Games: How to improve game performance