Consider the following scenario. You are using a Microsoft Windows Embedded for Point of Service-based or a Microsoft Windows XP Embedded-based computer. You try to obtain a download that is located on the Microsoft Download Center or on the Microsoft Windows Update Web site. The download requires that you complete the Windows Genuine Advantage validation process. When you try to complete the Windows Genuine Advantage validation process, you receive the 0x80080220 error code and the following error message:
When you try to run the Windows Validation Assistant to verify that your copy of Windows is legal, you receive the following error message:
You are unable to run the Windows Validation Assistant.
Your Product ID is in an invalid format, possibly because your system has been tampered with. The Windows Validation Assistant requires you to be running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003. The Windows Validation Assistant also must be run in Internet Explorer.
This issue occurs because the Windows Genuine Advantage validation control does not include support for Windows Embedded for Point of Service-based or Windows XP Embedded-based computers.
To work around this issue, update your computer by installing the latest critical updates. To do this, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Turn on Automatic Updates
To turn on Automatic Updates, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click either Automatic or Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
Method 2: Use Windows Update Catalog
To use Windows Update Catalog to download critical updates, follow these steps:
- Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Click Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- In the Operating system box, click the operating system that you use, and then click Advanced search options.
- Click to select the following check boxes:
- Critical Updates and Service Packs
- Advanced Security Updates
- Click to clear the following check boxes:
- Additional Windows Downloads
- Internet and Multimedia Updates
- Multi-Language Features
- Recommended Updates
- Windows Tools
- Click Search, and then click Critical Updates and Service Packs.
- Click Add next to each item that you want to download.
- Click Advanced Security Updates, and then click Add next to each item that you want to download.
- Click Go to Download Basket.
- In the Type or browse to the download location of your choice box, click Browse, and then click the folder in which you want to save the downloads.
- Click Download Now, and then click Accept.
As of September 2005, the Windows Genuine Advantage development team is working on an update to the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool.
To verify whether your copy of Windows is legal, follow these steps:
- On the desktop, double-click My Computer.
- On the Help menu, click Is this copy of Windows legal?.