When you re-create a Groove account in Microsoft Office Groove 2007, or in an earlier version of Groove, the newly created account does not have access to the workspaces to which the previous account belongs. Additionally, the new account either does not receive messages from your Groove contacts or receives messages only from certain contacts.
Each Groove account is created with a unique digital fingerprint. When you create a new account by using the same name, contact information, and activation key that you used for your old account, the old account is not re-created. Instead, a new account is created that is easily confused with your old account. The accounts do not belong to each other's spaces or receive each other's messages. Therefore, when you are available on Groove in one of the accounts, contacts that have information for your other account cannot reach you. If some of your contacts have information for both accounts, Groove communications may seem unreliable.
If you have access to both accounts, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
When you use the same account information on two computers that are running Groove, the computers do not share data
If you do not have access to the original account, have your contacts and workspaces use the new account. To do this, follow these steps:
- To identify the account that you want to use, click Preferences on the Options menu, click the Identities tab, click Edit, and then add New to the full name of your identity or identities.
Note Groove contacts with your new account information will automatically receive the updated account name.
- Have a manager in each of your old workspaces uninvite the old account from each workspace.
- Send each of your contacts an instant message that instructs them to follow these steps:
- Click From in the instant message, and then click Add to My Contacts.
- In the Contacts list, right-click your old account name, and then click Delete.
- Have a manager in each of your workspaces use your new contact information to send you an invitation to each workspace.
If there are people with whom you used Groove but whom you can no longer reach by using information from the account that you cannot access, save your contact information to a file. Then, send them the file in an e-mail message. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Options menu, click Preferences, click the Identities tab, and then click Save this Contact as File. If you have multiple identities, repeat this step for each identity that you want to distribute.
Send the contact file to any associates who have not been able to contact you by using Groove. Instruct the associates to double-click the file to add your new account as a Groove contact.