When you try to send or receive e-mail in Microsoft Entourage for Mac, you may receive one of the following error messages:Microsoft Entourage 2008
Microsoft Entourage 2004
Entourage cannot find the server. Verify the server information is entered correctly in the Account Settings, and that your DNS settings in the Network pane of System Preferences are correct.
Account Name: <Account_Name>
Error code: - 3176
Microsoft Entourage X
Error: This Server can't be found. Make sure that the mail server information is entered in the account manager and that your DNS Settings in the Network Control Panel are correct.
Explanation: The mail could not be sent.
Account Name: <Account_Name>.
Error: Mail could not be sent using the account <Account_Name>.
Explanation: The Specified Server Could Not Be Found
You might experience this error if one of the following conditions is true:
- An incorrect server name is used for the POP3 server name or for the SMTP server name.
- The server is unreachable.
- You do not have an Internet connection, or your Internet connection is configured incorrectly. This issue might also occur if your outgoing server port number is incorrect.
Other than the error messages that are mentioned in the "Symptoms" section, the following error numbers have also been reported:
To resolve the error, verify that the account settings for the POP3 server and for the SMTP server are correct. Follow these steps:
Check your Internet connection
Start a web browser, such as Safari, and visit a website, such as http://www.msn.com
. If the website opens, again try to send or receive email. If the website does not open, contact your Internet service provider (ISP).
Make sure that you have a connection to the Internet. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Apple menu, click System Preferences.
- In the Internet & Wireless section, click Network.
- In the Service pane, see whether your current network connection has the status of Connected.
If you can visit websites, your account settings or the network preferences are not set correctly. To check your account settings, follow the steps in the next section. If the settings are correct, you may have to contact your Internet service provider.
Adjust the account settingsNote
If you can receive but not send, the Entourage SMTP settings are incorrect.
To adjust the account settings, follow these steps:
- Open Entourage.
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
- Under Sending mail, click Click here for advanced sending options.
- Select the Override default SMTP port check box, and then type the port number for your mail service. For example, Outlook.com uses port 587 for outgoing mail.
- Click the box in the upper-left corner of the Advance Sending Options window to close the window.
- Click OK, and then test sending and receiving email messages.
For more information about ISPs' settings and other setup information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Set up a Outlook.com, Gmail, AOL, or other email account in Entourage for Mac
- Verify that the Entourage client can connect to the POP3 server or to the SMTP server. To test the connection, use one of the following methods:
- "Ping" the server by using the name that was provided to you by your ISP or by the network administrator. The Ping utility is located in the Utilities folder.
- Telnet to the default POP3 port or to the SMTP port:
- In the Utilities folder, double-click the Terminal program.
- From the Terminal command prompt, run the following command to test for SMTP connectivity:
Telnet <Server_name> 25
Note <Server_name> is a placeholder for the name of your SMTP server.
If the connection is successful, you will receive a message that resembles the following:
If the connection fails, there might be a problem with the mail server, or the SMTP port might be blocked.