When you try to install a Microsoft game, you
receive one of the following error messages immediately after you start the
Error message 1
Error -1607: Unable to install InstallShield
Error message 2
Error - 1628: failed to complete installation
This error occurs when the InstallShield application is corrupted or is damaged.
To resolve this problem, try the following methods in the order in which they are presented.
To have us perform Method 1 and Method 3 for you, go to the "Fix it for me
" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it
button or link. In the File Download
dialog box, click Run
, and then follow the steps in the Fix it Wizard. Notes
- Only Method 1 and Method 3 are automated by this Fix it solution, if your problem could not be resolved by this Fix it solution, you still need run other methods manually.
- For Windows 7 and Vista computers that have UAC enabled, click the “Cancel” button when the “Program Compatibility Assistant” dialog pops up.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?
Let me fix it myself
Method 1: Rename the InstallShield folder
- In Windows Explorer or in My Computer, open the following folder:
DRIVE \Program Files\Common Files\
- Right-click the Installshield folder, and then click Rename.
- Type InstallShield1, and then press ENTER.
- Try to install the game.
If the problem continues to occur, go to Method 2.
Method 2: Download and install the latest Windows Installer package
To install the latest Windows Installer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:Notes
- Download the .msu or .exe file for your version of Windows.
- "x86" means that you have a 32-bit version of Windows. "x64" means that you have a 64-bit version of Windows.
- If you are not sure about which operating system you have, download and install the x64-based version. In the instructions, you will find information about the appropriate file to use.
A newer version than version 4.5 of the Windows Installer might be available. To search for a newer version, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
If the problem continues to occur, go to Method 3.
Method 3: Locate and then close the files
To resolve this problem, locate, and then close the Idriver.exe and Msiexec.exe files. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the Task Manager. To do this, click Start
, type taskmgr in the Start Search box, and then click taskmgr.exe in the Programs list.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
- On the Processes tab, in the Image Name column, locate idriver.exe and msiexec.exe.
- Select each instance of both processes, and then click End Process.
- Click End Process on each Windows Task Manager window that opens.
- Close the Task Manager.
If these steps do not resolve the problem, go to Method 4.
Method 4: Create a new user account
Create a new user account that has
administrative rights. Then, use this new user account to install the game. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start
, and then click Control Panel.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
- Click User Accounts and Family Safety.
- Under User Accounts, click Add or remove user accounts.
- Click Create a new account.
- Type the account name.
- Select the account type: Standard or Administrator.
- Click Create Account. Select the account that you just created.
- Click Create a password.
- Type a password for the user account. Also type a password hint.
- Click Create password.
- Log off your current account.
- Log on by using your new account.
- Start the installation.
If these steps do not resolve the problem, go to Method 5.
Method 5: Perform a clean startup procedure
When you start Microsoft Windows, other software may start automatically together with the operating system. These programs and services can include antivirus software and system utilities that may interfere with the game. When you perform a clean startup, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.
You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
For more information about how to perform a clean restart, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program
If these steps do not resolve the problem, go to Method 6.
Method 6: Download and install the latest version of the .NET Framework
To download and install the latest version of the .NET Framework, visit the following MSDN Web site:
Click the latest version of the .NET Framework.
If these methods do not resolve the problem, continue to troubleshoot the problem.
For more information about how to continue to troubleshoot the problem, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Error message when you install Microsoft Games and mapping programs
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me
" blog or send us an email