Microsoft has released security bulletin MS06-013. This security bulletin contains all the relevant information about the security update. This information includes the file manifest information and the deployment options. To view the complete security bulletin, visit one of the following Microsoft Web sites, as appropriate for your situation:
- Controls that prompt before they are loaded
Note This issue occurs on Web sites that do not use the recommended techniques. This issue is resolved by using the techniques that are described on the following Web site:
When certain controls are loaded on a Web page, the controls are not correctly masked by the functionality of this update. These controls include controls that are used in Macromedia Shockwave Director, in QuickTime Player, and in Virtools Web Player. When Windows determines that a control is inactive, the system prompts the user before the control is loaded.
- Compatibility Patch Available (security update 917425)
The Internet Explorer ActiveX update (update 912945), is contained in this cumulative security update for Windows XP Service Pack 2, for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition family, and for Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 for Itanium-based Systems. With this update, customers can interact with Microsoft ActiveX controls that are loaded in certain Web pages only after they manually activate their user interfaces by clicking these interfaces or by using the TAB key and ENTER keys. To help customers who need more time to prepare for the update, Microsoft released a Compatibility Patch. After it is deployed, the Compatibility Patch will temporarily return Internet Explorer to the way that it used to handle ActiveX controls. This patch will function until the June cumulative Internet Explorer update is released. Then, the changes to the way Internet Explorer handles ActiveX controls will be permanent.
Internet Explorer ActiveX compatibility patch for Mshtml.dll
- Siebel programs that use ActiveX controls
Software update 912945 affects all Siebel 7 High Interactive clients. After you apply this update, you must click several times to interact with the Siebel program. You must click one time for each ActiveX control in the program. Siebel is working with Microsoft to identify a solution. A Siebel product update is expected to be released in the spring of 2006. Customers can apply the Compatibility Patch 917425 to disable the Internet Explorer ActiveX update behavior. For more information about Siebel product updates, contact Siebel support.
- Siebel program hangs
There is a known issue where Siebel 7 client hangs when users apply security update 912812. Customers can apply the Compatibility Patch 917425 to disable the Internet Explorer ActiveX update behavior. A Siebel product update is expected to be released in the spring of 2006. For more information about Siebel product updates, contact Siebel support.
- ActiveX controls that use Java Platform, Standard Edition 1.3 or Standard Edition 1.4
After you click on an ActiveX applet control in a program that runs the applet control by using Java Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE) 1.3 or J2SE 1.4, the focus does not go to the applet control. You must click the control a second time to establish focus. The focus behavior works correctly in J2SE 1.5. To obtain the latest version of J2SE, visit the following Sun Microsystems, Inc. Web site:
For techniques that you can use to make sure that ActiveX controls function without user interaction, visit the following MSDN Web site:
- Cumulative security update 910620 includes the security fixes that are documented in security bulletin MS06-004. The update rollup also includes hotfixes for Microsoft Internet Explorer that have been released after the release of security bulletin MS04-004 and after the release of security bulletin MS04-038.
- If update rollup 873377, update rollup 889669, or an Internet Explorer hotfix that was released after security bulletin MS04-038 are not installed, and if you want to install the hotfixes that are included in update rollup 896727, you must follow the instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 897225. Otherwise, all Internet Explorer hotfixes that you have installed are removed.
How to install hotfixes that are included in cumulative security updates for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1